Note: This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
This dish takes a while to cook, but it's easy to put together.
Prep time: 80 minutes
What you need:
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3/4 cup light cheddar cheese, shredded
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a large skillet, sauté onion, pepper, and garlic in vegetable oil for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add turkey to skillet and cook until browned. Drain excess fat from turkey.
- Pour tomato sauce, corn, and milk into the skillet.
- Stir well and heat through.
- Stir in cornmeal and chili powder.
- Pour into well-greased 2-quart casserole pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes more.
- For the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle cheese over the dish.
- It is ready when a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 291 calories
- 21g protein
- 14g fat
- 5g sat fat
- 22g carbohydrate
- 4g fiber
- 73mg cholesterol
- 464mg sodium
- 213mg calcium
- 2.5mg iron
Serving size: 1 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2020 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com