Note: This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
Prep time: 20 minutes
What you need:
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 ounces uncooked chicken breast, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 corn tortillas (gluten-free)
- 2 ounces jalapeño Jack cheese
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, half of the onion, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken and sauté until cooked through and juices run clear. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Sauté remaining half of the onion and garlic in nonstick skillet for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix chicken with half of the salsa and set aside.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place tortilla on baking sheet.
- Spread chicken and salsa mixture on the tortilla.
- Spread cooked garlic and onions over chicken.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over onion and garlic.
- Cover with another tortilla.
- Bake until quesadillas are warmed through and cheese is melted, approximately 10 minutes.
- Cut into four wedges and serve with remaining salsa.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 245 calories
- 20g protein
- 10g fat
- 6g sat. fat
- 20g carbohydrate
- 3g fiber
- 50mg cholesterol
- 190mg sodium
- 285mg calcium
- 1mg iron
Serving size: 2 wedges
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can top with gluten-free sour cream and/or gluten-free guacamole. If you're pressed for time, try substituting with store-bought salsa (check the label to be sure it doesn't contain gluten).
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2021 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com