The brains behind great epilepsy care
The epilepsy team assembled by Children’s Minnesota is respected by pediatricians around the country. The team specializes in diagnosing and treating all kinds of disorders that cause seizures in kids. And when it comes to managing complex needs, a full range of pediatric subspecialists is available at our fingertips.
The epilepsy team is made up of several types of dedicated professionals who are Children’s employees or independent clinicians:
- Pediatric epileptologists and neurologists are physicians who specialize in treating seizures and other brain and nervous system issues.
- Pediatric neurosurgeons have completed a residency in general surgery, another residency in neurosurgery plus additional training in brain and spine surgeries for children.
- Pediatric neuropsychologists and psychologists hold a medical degree and/or a doctorate in psychology. They keep a pulse on kids’ learning and emotional health, conduct cognitive testing and help families make informed treatment decisions.
- Pediatric pharmacists are health care professionals who are experts in the use of medications. They work with the health care team to choose the best drug and dosage for each patient. They also teach other health care professionals, patients and families about medication safety.
- Pediatric nurse practitioners (NPs) and physician assistants (PAs) are specially trained and licensed to examine, diagnose and treat patients alongside physicians. Registered nurses care for children with seizure disorders in the neuroscience center and at outpatient clinics. Nurses also conduct research, provide patient education and help coordinate complex care.
- Technologists operate the latest neuroimaging, surgical and EEG machines and equipment. They’re also present 24/7 in the epilepsy monitoring unit to ensure high-quality EEG and video recordings.
If you’re visiting Children’s neuroscience center, keep an eye out for key players:
Michael Frost, MD
Medical Director of the pediatric epilepsy program
See profiles for all the all-star doctors and nurse practitioners in the neurology program who specialize in epilepsy.