Four specialties, one special commitment
The physical rehabilitation medicine team at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota is known for its top-notch care. We come from four different fields: physiatry, physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech-language pathology. Yet we share a single-minded commitment to making life better for kids and their families.
Who’s who in physical rehabilitation services
Here’s a quick look at who will work with your child:
- Physiatrists, or rehabilitation physicians, are nerve, muscle, and bone experts who treat injuries or illnesses that affect how you move. Physiatrists are medical doctors who have completed training in the medical specialty of physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- Pediatric physical therapists evaluate and treat children who have problems with movement. They help kids work on issues such as correcting a walking problem, strengthening a weak arm or learning to use adaptive equipment. The Children’s team includes an expert team of physical therapists.
- Pediatric occupational therapists evaluate and treat children who have problems with the physical, and sensory skills needed for daily life. They help kids master tasks such as playing with toys, feeding, using a pencil or getting dressed. Meet the occupational therapists at Children’s.
- Pediatric speech-language pathologists evaluate and treat children who have problems with speech and communication. They also work with kids who have difficulty in feeding and swallowing. Meet the speech-language pathologists at Children’s.
If your child needs multiple services, we’ve got that covered. Our professionals work closely with each other as well as with other specialists and your pediatrician. If your child starts therapy while in the hospital, we’ve got good news on that front, too. You’ll be able to continue with the same great rehab team after your child goes home.
Get to know our team leaders
We look forward to meeting you and your child. When you’re visiting one of our six locations, stop by and say hi to our team leaders:
- Maurice Sholas, MD, medical director of physical rehabilitation medicine
- Karen Tarbuck-Nelson, administrator of physical rehabilitation medicine
- Lynn Lamott, Physiatry RN Supervisor
- Paula Anderson, Rehab Services Manager – St. Paul
- Jean Connor, Rehab Services Manager – Minneapolis
- Jason Kelecic, Rehab Services Manager – Roseville and Woodbury
- Scott Olson, Rehab Services Manager – Minnetonka and Maple Grove
- Vincent Jones II, Practice Manager Physiatry-Rehab
- Tanya Hilliard, APRN, CNP – Feeding Clinic