Prep time: 20 minutes
What you need:
- 1 lb. tuna, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely peeled and chopped
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- dash of hot sauce
- 1/2 c. flour for dredging
- 1 tbsp. salt
- cooking oil
- 4 hamburger buns
What to do:
- Combine first set of ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped - about 6 pulses. Do not overprocess.
- Shape the mixture into 4 burgers. Set these on a plate so they are not touching, cover well with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Measure the flour and remaining 1 tbsp. salt into a large shallow bowl or pie plate and whisk together. Dredge the tuna burgers in the flour mixture so they are lightly dusted on both sides.
- Place a skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat, add the oil, and let it get hot - about 2 minutes.
- Arrange the burgers in the pan so they aren't touching. Cook uncovered for 2 minutes. Turn and cook about 2 minutes more. The burgers should be rare to medium-rare.
- Serve on a hamburger bun.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 223 calories
- 27g protein
- 9g fat
- 661mg sodium
- 31mg calcium
Serving size: 1 burger patty
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Top with Mango Ketchup for extra flavor.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2018 KidsHealth ® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com