We’ve seen it all
Pediatric hospitalists work to ensure expert treatment for all conditions requiring around-the-clock care and monitoring. Some common examples include:
- Respiratory problems — Breathing issues like asthma, bronchitis and pneumonia
- Gastrointestinal problems — Stomach or intestinal infections and complications like dehydration
- Skin infections — Abscesses and diseases like cellulitis sometimes require hospital care
- Cancer and blood diseases — Kids may need additional care and monitoring during treatments
- Trauma — Examples include broken limbs and head injuries
- Surgery — Recovery from appendix removal and other major operations
- Neurologic conditions — Seizures, infections or neurologic surgery
Children’s hospitalist program provides a full range of services to help kids feel better and get home faster. Just a few of the ways we pack every minute of your stay with maximum healing power:
- Manage admissions — We work closely with doctors from the emergency department and operating room as well as your pediatrician to get your child quickly and safely into bed in a private patient room.
- Coordinate inpatient care — We visit our patients at least once a day to check on their progress, order tests and perform procedures. With your input, we make a care plan and make sure your child’s entire medical team understands and follows the plan.
- Collaborate with specialists — We work with Children’s nationally recognized network of subspecialists to deliver world-class care for health issues big and small.
- Perform bedside procedures — Hospitalists read x-rays and test results, carry out diagnostic tests and treatments, and manage medical equipment that supports sick kids.
- Lead the rapid response team — When a patient shows early signs of deterioration, we mobilize experts to address the problem quickly and transfer your child to a higher level of care if needed.
- Discharge planning — To keep your child going strong after a hospital stay, we’ll show you how to care for him or her safely at home. We also coordinate referrals to pediatricians, rehabilitation medicine, home health care, specialists and other helpful folks.
Building bridges with your pediatrician
At Children’s, we know that the real work of healing often happens outside the hospital. That’s why keeping your child’s pediatrician in the loop is a top priority for us.
When your child is admitted at Children’s, our team reaches out to your family doctor or pediatrician to discuss the plan of care. Throughout your child’s stay, we keep those lines of communication open. And when your child goes home, we provide the pediatrician with a discharge summary and recommendations for follow-up.
Search over 1,100 members of Children’s clinical staff. Our directory includes physicians, dentists, oral surgeons, advanced practice registered nurses, psychologists, podiatrists, physician assistants, pharmacists, genetic counselors, and social workers. Find a doctor.