The pharmacy team: major players behind the scenes
Our pharmacy team has a hand in treating every condition at Children’s Minnesota. That’s no exaggeration.
We’re the experts who make sure your child gets the right medication at the correct dose, whether it’s an anti-emetic to help stop vomiting or a chemotherapy drug to fight cancer.
Most of the time, we stay out of the limelight. While you may never meet us, we’re working closely with your child’s doctors and nurses to make sure treatment is as safe and effective as possible.
Some of the behind-the-scenes services we provide include:
- Preparing oral and IV medications
- Preparing chemotherapy medications
- Preparing parenteral nutrition, special nutrition that goes into the bloodstream
- Providing drug information to medical staff
- Monitoring medications for patients in the hospital
- Providing medication assistance to medical teams during inpatient emergencies
- Preparing infusions, IV medications used at home
- Training pharmacy students, residents and interns
- Conducting clinical research to further advance drug therapy for children
Now you see us
Here are some of the additional services we provide:
- On-site pharmacy services. Before you head home, you can pick up your child’s prescriptions at our on-site pharmacy in Minneapolis or St. Paul. Our pharmacists are always available to answer questions and discuss concerns.
- Minneapolis: We have an outpatient pharmacy located inside Marketplace on the 2nd floor of Children’s Specialty Center. We have inpatient pharmacies too.
- St. Paul: Here, we have a 24-hour outpatient pharmacy located on the 1st floor near the Welcome Center, in addition to an inpatient pharmacy.
- Outpatient medication therapy management (MTM). Children’s pharmacists meet with children and their families in the special needs clinics on each hospital campus to provide education and counseling about medications. You and your child may have a one-on-one consult with a pharmacist if you have questions about medication safety, taking several medications together, managing side effects or finding low-cost alternatives. These visits are scheduled during your child’s clinic visit with his or her doctor.
- Patient education. Sometimes our pharmacists talk with children and their parents about medications before a child leaves the hospital.
Whether you see us regularly or you don’t, you can count on the fact that we’re close by, working hard to make sure your child’s medications are safe and effective.
And as an organization dedicated to family-centered care, we offer many child and family services and resources, such as interpretive services.