The pharmacy team: major players behind the scenes
Our pharmacy team has a key role in treating every condition at Children’s Minnesota. That’s no exaggeration.
We’re the experts who make sure your child gets the right medication at the correct dose, whether it’s an anti-emetic to help stop vomiting or a chemotherapy drug to fight cancer.
Most of the time, we stay out of the limelight. While you may never meet us, we’re working closely with your child’s providers and nurses to make sure treatment is as safe and effective as possible.
Some of the services we provide include:
- Preparing oral and IV medications
- Preparing chemotherapy medications
- Preparing parenteral nutrition, special nutrition that goes into the bloodstream
- Providing drug information to medical staff
- Monitoring medications for patients in the hospital
- Providing medication assistance to medical teams during inpatient emergencies
- Preparing infusions, IV medications used at home
- Training pharmacy students, residents and interns
- Conducting clinical research to further advance drug therapy for children
Additional resources we provide:
- Inpatient services: The pharmacy team provides 24-hour oral and IV medication. Clinical pharmacists round units daily with versatile teams for nearly all patients.
- On-site pharmacy services: Before you head home, you can pick up your child’s prescriptions at our on-site pharmacy in Minneapolis or St. Paul. Our pharmacists are always available to answer questions and discuss concerns.
- Minneapolis: We have an outpatient pharmacy located inside Marketplace on the 2nd floor of Children’s Specialty Center. We have inpatient pharmacies too.
- St. Paul: We have a 24-hour outpatient pharmacy located on the 1st floor near the Welcome Center, in addition to an inpatient pharmacy.
- Outpatient medication services: The outpatient pharmacy prepare and dispense prescriptions for patients, and hospital employees.
- Home care pharmacy services: The home care pharmacy provides home infusion medications and equipment delivered to your home. We work directly with your doctors and nurses. Our team is available 24/7 to answer your questions.
- Medication Therapy Management (MTM): MTM is a service where pediatric pharmacist meets with the patient to reviews medications to ensure the best therapeutic outcomes for patients.
- Investigational Drug Services (IDS): Our IDS team has an important role in providing guidance and support for the safe and efficient conduct of clinical drug trials. This service can support clinical research and contribute to the advancement of medical practice.
Whether you see us regularly or you don’t, you can count on the fact that we’re close by, working hard to make sure your child’s medications are safe and effective.
And as an organization dedicated to family-centered care, we offer many child and family services and resources, such as interpretive services.