We play the part of coach and team
Children with cystic fibrosis (CF) have complex needs. CF is a genetic condition that causes cells to produce mucus that is thicker and stickier, resulting in blocked ducts, which affects many systems in the body – from lungs and sinuses to sweat glands and the digestive system.
At Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, our cystic fibrosis program includes a range of professionals, such as pulmonologists, nurses, dietitians, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, genetic counselors and social workers.
We will be by your side to help you and your child manage the challenges of living with CF. Like a trusted coach, we’ll provide guidance and advice starting from diagnosis and every step along the way.
See our stats
At Children’s, we’re well-equipped to help kids and families overcome any curveballs that CF throws their way. These fast facts offer a glimpse of our efforts — and achievements — in providing comprehensive care to children with cystic fibrosis.
- Our program on average sees more than 50 percent of all newborns in the state who screen positive for CF every year.
- Annually, Children’s cares for more than 140 children with cystic fibrosis. They come from all over Minnesota, as well as Wisconsin, Iowa and North Dakota.
- Our CF program ranks among the top 10 programs nationally, measured by the National Cystic Fibrosis Registry.
- Children’s is accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Accredited centers offer the best care, treatments and support for children with cystic fibrosis. We’ve worked with other accredited centers to improve the length and quality of life for people with CF.
- We’re a designated Therapeutic Development Network center. This connects us with nearly 80 other top cystic fibrosis centers around the world that are actively researching new CF treatments. It also gives our patients access to a wide range of clinical trials.
Going to bat for you
A successful team isn’t simply defined by numbers. Everyone on the team, and the way they work together, make the difference. At Children’s, you and your child are the most valuable team members, and we are always here to support you. Here’s how:
Knowledge is power. Our team will make sure you and your child know as much about cystic fibrosis as possible. That’s why we make CF education and answering questions a part of every visit.
Helping you do what you do best. At Children’s, we do the legwork when it comes to coordinating your child’s care, so you can concentrate on doing what you do best — being a parent. We also work closely with your child’s doctor to make sure he/she is receiving the best care in between visits to our clinic.
Access to our larger team. Sometimes your child may need extra care or support. At Children’s, your child has access to our full team of specialists, from ear, nose and throat doctors to endocrinologists to child life specialists. Whatever your child needs, we’ve got it covered.
There’s no quota on smiles. Sure, we’re experts in CF, but we also know kids — and the best ways to make them grin. From providing coloring books and crayons to taking time out for a snack, we make smiles one of our top priorities.