For health professionals
At Midwest Fetal Care Center, a collaboration between Children’s Minnesota and Allina Health, we understand care involves an entire team. If your patient’s ultrasound results are abnormal, we’re here to help. As the largest program of its kind in the Upper Midwest, our fetal care program provides evaluation, diagnosis and intervention for high-risk pregnancies.
As the referring physician, you’ll be an important part of our care team. We’ll provide written documentation of your patient’s care and work with you to establish the best comprehensive plan for your patient’s prenatal care and delivery.
Once we receive your referral form and the necessary prenatal records, one of our nurse care coordinators will contact your patient to discuss our Center and schedule an initial appointment. Your patient will meet with one of our board-certified maternal fetal specialists and schedule additional appointments with other appropriate specialists as needed.
For 24/7 assistance with maternal fetal consultations, referrals or admissions, please call:
Neonatal and pediatric
For 24/7 assistance with pediatric or neonatal consultations, referrals or admissions, please call:
As the referring physician, you’ll receive the following service standards as part of our care team:
- Perinatologists and neonatologists available for consultation 24/7
- Same-day appointments for urgent perinatal needs
- Scheduling process that allows any provider to refer perinatal patients
- Same-day, in-hospital consults for perinatal patients and newborns (at The Mother Baby Center at Abbott Northwestern and Children’s – Minneapolis, United Hospital, Children’s – St. Paul)
Timely and effective communication Referring providers contacted:
- Within one business day of delivery by perinatologist and neonatologist
- By neonatologist within one business day of neonatal admission
- Weekly regarding patients with longer inpatient stays
Prompt test results
- Perinatal ultrasound: Results communicated to patient’s referring provider or nurse on same day of appointment with follow-up communication by the fetal team on subsequent visits or with change in patient care plan.
- Dictated report sent to referring provider within 48 hours following prenatal consult done by neonatologist