A big team of experts for the tiniest patients
More than 500 professionals from Children’s, Minnesota Neonatal Physicians and Associates in Newborn Medicine make up the neonatology team at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota. In addition to neonatologists and nurses, the team includes respiratory therapists, social workers, music therapists and more. Plus, other specialists including pediatric cardiologists, pediatric surgeons, pediatric ear, nose and throat specialists and more who are available 24/7 at Children’s. We believe that a multidisciplinary approach is the best way to address a baby’s complete well-being.
Get to know some of the compassionate caregivers you may meet during your time at Children’s.
- Neonatologists are pediatricians who undergo an additional three years of training in the complex health needs of high-risk newborns. They head up the treatment teams of any babies admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), and one of them is always at the hospital 24/7 to attend high-risk deliveries and care for extremely ill patients.
- Nurse practitioners are nurses who undergo advanced medical training focused solely on newborn health. Nurse practitioners are available in our NICUs and special care nurseries at all times.
- Neonatal nurses at Children’s receive special training in advance of working on the unit.
- Respiratory therapists address any lung or breathing challenges babies might face.
- Nutritionists are busy counting calories, making sure newborns get the nourishment they need to grow and heal.
- Occupational therapists help babies develop, recover or maintain the every day skills they need to thrive.
- Case managers assist in the transition to home.
Pharmacists, home care specialists and professionals from a range of other disciplines are also an integral part of the team at Children’s and provide the expert care our infants need.
It takes years of training to treat just-born patients
The nurses, physicians and the entire care team have put in the time to know how to expertly care for some of our tiniest patients. Leading the pack include:
Jill Therien, MD
Medical Director, neonatal services, St. Paul
Jeanne Mrozek, MD
Medical Director, neonatal services, Minneapolis
Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota collaborates with a team of doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses and more to provide expert care to kids. See below for a list of all the all-star doctors and nurse practitioners in the neonatology program. (Click on their names to read their profiles.)