The ophthalmology surgery team at Children’s provides next-generation care to infants, children, and adolescents from throughout the upper Midwest. Our goal is to provide your child with the best possible surgery experience.
- Your child’s surgery is performed by a team of professionals who specialize in the unique needs of children.
- Your child’s pain is managed by an interdisciplinary pain management team.
- Your child’s care includes the latest in surgical techniques, technology, and training, including microsurgery or laser surgery for some eye conditions.
- Your child’s care providers invite you to be part of your child’s care team, because you know your child best.
Conditions that may require ophthalmologic surgery
Eye surgery may be an option when medicines don’t work or when eye conditions are more serious. Your child’s doctor may recommend surgery, laser surgery, or other eye procedures for a variety of conditions. Some of the most common conditions treated at Children’s are:
The following information may be helpful to families preparing specifically for ophthalmology surgery. View a searchable directory of general patient/family educational materials.
- Anesthesia: Questions and answers (Spanish and Somali translations available at link)
- Eye drops (Spanish, Hmong and Somali translations available at link)
- Eye ointment (Spanish and Hmong translations available at link)
- Nitrous oxide for sedation (Spanish translation available at link)
- If you are a family member looking for a Children’s specialist in ophthalmology surgery or ophthalmology services requiring anesthesia, please visit Find a doctor.
- If you are a health professional looking for a consultation or referral information, please call Children’s Physician Referral at 1-866-755-2121 (toll-free).