Expertise that grows with kids
Children’s Minnesota offers a full range of medical and developmental care for kids with Down syndrome. In fact, we’re the only Down syndrome services in the Twin Cities area dedicated to caring for expectant parents, babies, children and adolescents, both in and out of the hospital.
From coordinating care for a baby’s heart problem to talking with your teen about the birds and the bees, we’ll be your guides and companions on every step of this journey. Like you, we may wear a variety of hats over the years. But you can always count 100 percent on our commitment to excellence.
Complete care for the whole child
People with Down syndrome have an extra copy of chromosome 21 (Hmong, Somali, and Spanish translations available at link), which can cause delayed growth, birth defects and cognitive impairment. The condition affects one in every 691 babies born in the United States.
Down syndrome shows up in a variety of ways. At Children’s Minnesota, we’re experts at treating issues that are more common in kids with this condition, including:
- Growth and nutrition — We help track your child’s growth, meet unique diet and nutritional needs and address feeding problems.
- Thyroid function — Testing and treatment for conditions in which the thyroid gland produces too much or too little thyroid hormone.
- Gastrointestinal issues — Management of constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux and food allergies.
- Vision and hearing — Regular screenings and treatment for eye and ear issues.
- Musculoskeletal development — We can address weak muscle tone and loose ligaments and promote healthy physical development.
- Sleep — Expert treatment for apnea (irregular breathing during sleep) as well as behavioral strategies to help your child settle in and sleep through the night.
Some Down syndrome-related problems require special handling. To help, we coordinate referrals to a wide variety of sub-specialists and specialty clinics, including but not limited to our cardiovascular program, physical rehabilitation program and the feeding clinic.
Every day, we expand possibilities
Research shows that specialized care can make a big difference for children with Down syndrome. Some of the ways we help our patients get off on the right foot:
- We catch problems early. We’re experts at recognizing medical and developmental issues related to Down syndrome so they can be treated as quickly as possible.
- We make caring personal. Every child with Down syndrome is one of a kind. We tailor our care to meet your child’s unique needs and strengths.
- We offer a listening ear. During every visit, we dedicate time to discussing the issues that matter most to you and your child.
- We do our homework. All team members follow research-based practices and clinical guidelines to ensure that your child gets the most complete care available.
- We keep you connected. We guide you toward helpful community resources that enrich the lives of children with Down syndrome and their families.
And as an organization dedicated to family-centered care, we offer many child and family services and resources, like interpretive services, educational materials and support groups. Learn more.